I've started the test migration of data to the new windows 2003 server, this could be interesting. First points of note:
- I prefer editing a config file to wiggling the mouse and using a gui.
- Terminal services is laggy compared to SSH.
- Microsoft's telnet server is very laggy compared to SSH, easily worse than a full graphics session over terminal services. Not sure how they managed that.
- IIS 6 is almost the exact same speed on a 2.4Ghz machine as Apache on a 400Mhz machine.
- PHP doesn't work so well under Windows, but fastcgi almost fixes this. Might just be the way Windows deals with starting new processes.
Copyright © 2001-2021 Simon Soanes